FROM “LOOKING GOOD OUTSIDE-FEELING BAD INSIDE” BY CURTIS LEVONG, PhD
Answer “true” or “false” to each of the following.
1. I have been told that I have poor eye contact, slump my shoulders, or blush easily.
2. I am more perfectionistic than I would like to be.
3. I get defensive when others criticize me.
4. It is relatively easy for me to criticize members of my family, people at work or school, God, or myself.
5. I don’t accept compliments well.
6. When I’m lost I find it difficult to ask for directions or help.
7. When I make mistakes I feel bad for hours, even days.
8. I find it difficult to trust that others will meet my needs.
9. When things go wrong I have a hard time accepting blame.
10. I can not talk to my friends and family about my fears and disappointments.
11. I feel down, hopeless, and overwhelmed a good deal of the time.
12. I feel that I get angrier or angry more often than most people.
13. I find it hard to rest or relax without feeling guilty.
14. I was teased and called names when I was young.
15. I rarely reveal my feelings.
16. If someone does me a favor, I worry about having to return it.
17. I am sure I have addictive qualities in my personality.
18. I have difficulty holding a job or maintaining a friendship for a long period of time.
19. As a child I felt neglected or abused.
20. I have a hard time believing that God can fully love & accept me.
21. I never allow myself to get angry.
22. My family of origin did not encourage or nurture my self worth.
23. I have great difficulty getting close to people.
24. I have secrets that would surprise and shock others.
25. I feel embarrassed or humiliated by certain things from my past.
26. Growing up I received little of no support or praise for my accomplishments.
27. I have trouble praying to God after I do something wrong.
28. When with my family of origin, I rarely feel as if I’m treated as an adult.
29. I feel things must be done my way.
30. I take myself too seriously.
SCORING: TOTAL THE NUMBER OF THE TRUE RESPONSES: ____
INTERPRETING YOUR SHAME INDICATOR SCORE:
15 or more= Significant.
A low score may also indicate DENIAL.